The Tree Line USA Program
Recognizing best practices in utility arboriculture.
The Arbor Day Foundation, in cooperation with the National Association of State Foresters, recognizes public and
private utilities that demonstrate practices that protect and enhance America's urban forests. The Tree Line USA program promotes
the dual goals of safe, reliable electric service and abundant, healthy trees across utility service areas.
The Tree Line USA® program seeks to promote best practices in utility arboriculture and public education through five core standards:
- Quality Tree Care— The utility follows industry standards for pruning, planting, removals, and trenching and tunneling near trees.
- Annual Worker training— The utility ensures that its employees and contract workers are trained in best practices.
- Tree Planting and Public Education— The utility sponsors and participates in a tree planting and public education program designed to expand canopy and educate customers about the proper tree planting, placement, and pruning.
- Tree-based Energy Conservation Program— The utility has a formal tree-based energy conservation program which makes special consideration of the value of trees in conserving energy.
- Arbor Day Celebration — The utility sponsors and/or participates in annual Arbor Day events, and collaborates with community groups, where possible.
Apply Now »